Thursday 18 September 2014

Thursday Evenings (1)

Thursday is the one day during the week at which I could fully relax and not worry about anything (sort of). So, I thought, why not spend this free time doing something that allows my mind to break free from this hectic reality? & so I decided, starting this week, that I would weekly blog my thoughts about whatever it is that captures my attention!

A while ago, while I was blogging my time away on tumblr, I came across a picture of a wall somewhere in Palestine. Someone has used a thick, black marker to write on it the quote:
 "نحن احياء و باقون... و للحلم بقية". This translates to "We are alive, & remaining... & the dream is not over". Even though, as usually happens, a lot gets lost in the literal translation of this quote, but that is not the point. Once I read it, I immediately recognized that it was said by the Palestinian poet, Mahmoud Darwish, who is one of my favorite writers to ever exist. When he said this, Mahmoud Darwish was talking about the Palestinian dream of freedom and how it will continue to live, in spite of everything, in the heart of every Palestinian as long as they're alive. The intended meaning of this quote is truly worthy of admiration. However, when I first read it, not so long ago, I wasn't aware of the fact that the author was talking about the Palestinian dream. I interpreted it in a very personal way, a very beautiful one, nonetheless.

The phrase "و للحلم بقية" kept resonating inside my head. The dream is not over... the dream is not over... the dream is not over. What dream? you may ask. The strange aspect of this is that I truly have no idea. I have vague visions of where I want to be and who I want to become. I have too many dreams intermingled together in a way that makes it difficult for me to recognize any of them as a separate entity. In all honesty, I may not have known what my specific dreams were at the time at which I read the quote, & I might still not know them now. But for some eerie reason, the phrase:
"و للحلم بقية" fills me with a sweet feeling of hope.

There's a certain pleasure in the uncertainty of life. A perfect life which is all planned out is boring, in my view. It's beautiful to realize that the unpredictability of life could result in you achieving dreams that aren't even defined in your mind at the moment. As long as you're alive, it's all possible.









No comments:

Post a Comment