Thursday 29 January 2015

Injustice

I'm starting this post with absolutely no idea where I'm going with it, but I have the urge to write so I'll do it anyways. Lately, a few incidences as well as a series of observations have led me to the conclusion that we live in such an unjust world. I'm not saying that prior to these observations I used to think that we exist in some form of moral utopia; I always knew that terrible and unfair things occur all over the world. However, I have never quite noticed the degree to which people ignore the injustice that is surrounding them until very recently. It is both sad and terrifying how humans can become accustomed and desynthesized to inhumane things simply because of the frequency at which they happen.

A seemingly arbitrary, yet extremely important example nonetheless is how people usually treat cleaners, drivers, maids, etc. I'm not saying that everyone is absolutely terrible to these workers, in fact, most people aren't. Yet something that many do, sometimes even subconsciously, is view these individuals as if they're somehow less than they are simply because of their social status. As blatantly obvious as it is, you are not better or worse than anybody. Whenever I see someone who is "poor", I use the quotation marks as I disagree with society's definition of the term, the first thing that comes to my mind is that the only difference between me and this person is that we were born in different places to different families, had they been born in different circumstances, they could have easily been a student at the school as oppose to the cleaner. Had my maid been presented with the same opportunities that I've been presented with, she could have been my classmate and could have been brighter and more hardworking than I ever was. One could easily see this as an injustice of fate, but this is not the way that I see it. It is natural for society to be arranged into different sectors and social hierarchies. However, what is unacceptable is using the level of the hierarchy that somebody is on as an indication of their worth as a human being. We might be living in dissimilar conditions and our circumstances be different, but to simply use this as an excuse to view us as unequal is one of the greatest forms of injustice, and we should not allow that. Don't step on anyone and don't allow anyone to step on you, as that would be an injustice to yourself.

The aforementioned example is definitely not the only sample of injustice that is prevalent in our society. There are various scenarios which demonstrate the fact that we live in a world full of inequality, many of which I'd rather not dive into., partially because this would take quite a lot of time due to the complexity of these issues. Or maybe I'm just not confident enough to completely
share what is on my mind. Either way, we need to realize that big changes are nothing but a combination of collective actions; therefore, each and every one of us must individually start a fight against whatever injustice that that they see in the world.

Farewell,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment